Website-Watcher 11.0 Beta 3

cricri_pingouin

Reviewing 10.1 (Apr 9, 2010)

Let me reiterate what has been said: comparing Website Watcher with products such as UpdateScanner and UpdateWatcher is ludicrous. I do use Firefox, and I did try UpdateScanner. However, WW has a feature which is critical in my view, namely regular expressions support. I quickly stopped using UpdateScanner because the lack of regex makes it largely inadequate. For instance, if I was checking the Fileforum Firefox page, I just want to know if there is a new version, not if there is a new comment or its average rating changed. That's where WW blows the competition out of the water, and despite searching/testing at length, WW stubbornly remained my tool of choice. Don't get me wrong, I'd be delighted to see a serious cheaper contender, but we are nowhere close to see it happening with the alternatives mentioned.
It is true however that quality doesn't come cheap, and I do find the price hikes of WW to steer towards being prohibitive, hence a point taken out, and why I stick with v5 (which itself didn't offer much more than v4).
To conclude: although it is not always the case, in this case don't listen to the freetards as you do get what you pay for. I tried UpdateScanner, didn't pay anything, and didn't get anything.
Shrek: if your definition of bloatware is "offers sufficient features to flexibly carry out everything you might need", then yes, WW is definitely bloatware. Size-wise, the installation package lets you make it portable. My installation on my pen drive is 5.3MB in 55 files (excluding bookmarks archives of course). If this is bloat, Firefox+UpdateScanner on your pen drive would be a hell of a lot more (and yes, you could technically use WW to browse, although that's not its purpose). But then you were not trying to be honest.


View the original article here

No comments

Powered by Blogger.