PECompact 3.03.17 Beta

jcollake

Reviewing 3.02.2 (May 20, 2010)

If you will download Google Desktop, you will see its installer is compressed with PECompact. I think that sums up the following defense against the 'only used by malware' comment.

My customers are NOT malware authors, they are software development companies.. from big name corporations to sole proprietorships. I try my best to deter malware abuse by working with anti-virus/anti-malware companies to help scan inside PECompact compressed executables. So, 'by something to hide', you should include intellectual property or copy protection mechanisms... NOT just malicious code.

Also, CPU cycles are more abdundent than disk and network I/O in many cases. If you have a 20MB executable, its nice if only 5MB needs to be loaded from the disk or network.

Well, there are always negative people.. I just want to say that with PECompact I do my best to ensure it is not abused by malware authors. Such abuse causes everyone headaches. I screen my customers, removed the free build, etc..

Are your criticisms valid? Well, sure.. The world isn't so black and white though. What may make no sense, or have no use to YOU, does make sense, or have use to someone else (other than malware authors).


View the original article here

No comments

Powered by Blogger.